I signed up for SP10. It looks like fun. I’ve been seeing people participating in these swaps for quite a while now and I’m glad I started my blog so I can be part of this one. So, here is the questionnaire. I hope it shows a little of who I am for my secret pal!
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I like natural fibres most, but really anything. There are lots of yarns I haven’t had the chance to try, so I really can’t say if I wouldn’t like them.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I don’t have any storage system figured out yet. I pretty much just keep them in a basket, but they’re kind of scattered around right now. I mostly have circulars, so I’m not sure what the best way of organizing them is.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I was inspired to learn to knit last spring when a new friend showed me some of the things she was making. I went and bought a book and some yarn and needles and just tried it out. I caught on really quickly. I don’t know why. It just all seemed very natural. Since then I have tried new techniques whenever I saw a pattern that I really wanted. I’ve done a little bit of lace (mostly just in scarves) and some cables. I’ve done a couple of sweaters, so I’ve had a little bit of practice with seaming. It still makes me nervous. I pretty much just start something and deal with whatever new challenges it presents as I go along. I haven’t encountered anything yet that I haven’t been able to figure out. I would consider myself an intermediate knitter.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
No. Not right now. If I start one, I’ll put up a post or put it in my sidebar.
5. What’s your favorite scent?
Ooh, good question. I like light scents. Something citrusy or very fresh-smelling. I’m not a big fan of really flowery or musky scents.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
I go off and on with the sweet tooth. I can have chocolate in the house for months and not eat it sometimes. Other times, I crave it. I don’t really have any favourites.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I don’t really have any other crafts that I do, but I’ll always give something a try. I’m a little reluctant to take up too many expensive hobbies, since I just bought a kayak and a camera recently and the yarn can eat into the budget if I’m not careful. Like I said though, I am always willing to try something new if an opportunity presents itself. Last year I made a paddle out of a 2×4 using hand tools!
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
Hmmm. I like a lot of folk music (of the Joni Mitchell, Valdy, Perth County Conspiracy variety) and I like a lot of the newer singer/songwriters like Jack Johnson. Man, I can’t even think of very many right now. I don’t have a ton of music. I mostly listen to it when I’m with friends. They all have better music collections than I do. I own a lot of local Canadian stuff I’ve picked up at shows or festivals, so it’s a bit eclectic and most people have never heard of most of them.
9. What’s your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can’t stand?
My favourite colours are deep colours like greens and blues. I also really like the look of 2 (or more) hues of the same colour together. As for colours I can’t stand, I have to go with pink on that one. It’s just not my colour.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
At the moment, it’s just me. I don’t even have any pets right now. That will change one day though. I really need to have a dog! Once I’m in a more permanent place, I’ll consider getting a yellow lab or something : )
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
I live on the west coast, so I don’t often need mittens, but then again with the crazy weather out here these days, one never knows! I’d wear all of those things!
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I don’t have a favourite yet. I love doing sweaters, right up until the seaming part. It’s really nice to have a small project on the go for carrying around and also for the time when you’re between bigger ones. Also, just for the instant gratification factor.
13. What are you knitting right now?
Right now, I am sort of between projects. I have to finish up my Kimono sweater and I have a second sock to do, but I’m waiting for the yarn and pattern to start the Central Park Hoodie. It looks so comfy!
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I’d like to try all of them! I have been using circulars for the most part. I got the Knitpicks Options set because I found I was having to get new needles for every single project. This way I usually have what I need (except a lot of the cables it came with were faulty- I really have to get them replaced.) I have one set of wooden dpn’s I used for my first (and only) sock.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
I wish! That might have to be my birthday present to myself.
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
I started the Kimono Styled sweater in June. That might not seem like that long, but remember I only started this hobby in like, April.
18. What is your favorite holiday?
I don’t really have one. I guess any day off that falls in the summer : ) I really should say Earth Day, since that’s my birthday!
19. Is there anything that you collect?
Not consciously. I have a pretty big collection of books though.
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I have been trying like crazy to get some of Sundara’s somewhat solid silky aran yarn in a nice rich colour. Some day I will accomplish this goal.
21. Are there any new techniques you’d like to learn?
I didn’t think I was really interested in learning any of the stranded knitting techniques, until I saw that gorgeous bohus Stephanie is making. Also, I’d like to learn more sock-knitting techniques. I’ve only tried a very basic top-down heel flap sock. I need some practice….
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
See above. Mmmm, not sure what my measurements are. I have a size 7 foot, not wide. If you really want to know, put up a comment and I’ll measure them for you.
23. When is your birthday?
Earth Day! April 22.